at Alberni District Secondary
The Youth Work in Trades program provides skill development through practical, hands-on work experience. Students enrolled in this program go to work and attend high school at the same time. That means they have found an employer who is willing to take them on and pay them as an apprentice – at least until their high school graduation.
Open to students in Grades 10-12, participants earn up to 16 credits towards their high school diploma, log 480 training hours toward their trade credential and potentially earn a $1,000 scholarship from the Industry Training Authority (ITA). Youth Train in Trades (formerly known as ACE-IT) and Youth Work in Trades (formerly known as SSA) programs can be taken in any order and there are no prerequisites.
$1000 Scholarship Criteria
Students who are eligible for the Secondary School Apprenticeship scholarship will automatically be considered for the award. To be eligible an Industry Training Authority (ITA)-registered youth apprentice must have:
- Been registered in a Secondary School Apprenticeship Program prior to graduation
- Graduated with a Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma or Adult Dogwood
- Successfully completed SSA 11A, SSA 11B, SSA 12A, and SSA 12B
- Maintained a C+ average or better on Grade 12 numbered courses
- Reported a total of at least 900 hours to the ITA within six months of graduation
For information about Youth Work (SSA) go to http://www.itabc.ca/youth/?page_id=83.